If you’re a fan of cookies and cream flavor and you love ice cream cake, then this recipe is for you! Not only is it easy to make, but it also makes for a stunning centerpiece for any dinner party or celebration. Below are the ingredients and step-by-step instructions you need to make this delicious dessert.
Ingredients for making cookies and cream ice cream cake
- 1 package of Oreo cookies (14.3 oz)
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter (4 oz), melted
- 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream (2 quarts)
- 1/2 gallon of cookies and cream ice cream (2 quarts)
- 1 jar of hot fudge sauce (12 oz)
- 1 cup of whipped cream
For those who are looking for a healthier option, you can substitute the vanilla and cookies and cream ice cream with low-fat or non-dairy alternatives. You can also use coconut oil instead of butter and make your own hot fudge sauce using cocoa powder, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Additionally, you can add some chopped nuts or fresh fruit on top of the whipped cream for added texture and flavor.
Step-by-step instructions for making cookies and cream ice cream cake
- Step 1: Crush 3/4 package of Oreo cookies in a plastic bag or food processor until fine crumbs form.
- Step 2: Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter and press them tightly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Step 3: Soften the vanilla and cookies and cream ice cream for about 10-15 minutes until slightly softened. Once softened, spread the vanilla ice cream on top of the Oreo crust and smooth out evenly.
- Step 4: Take 1/2 cup of hot fudge and drizzle it over the vanilla ice cream layer. Sprinkle a handful of crushed Oreos over the top, then spread the cookies and cream ice cream over the top and smooth out evenly.
- Step 5: Drizzle another 1/2 cup of hot fudge over the top of the cookies and cream layer and sprinkle more crushed Oreos over the top. Wrap the pan in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Step 6: Once frozen, take the cake out of the freezer and remove it from the springform pan. Top the cake with whipped cream and garnish with additional Oreo cookies.
- Step 7: Cut into slices and serve.
Here are some additional tips to make your cookies and cream ice cream cake even more delicious:
- For an extra chocolatey flavor, add a layer of chocolate ice cream between the vanilla and cookies and cream layers.
- If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use a regular cake pan lined with parchment paper for easy removal.
Did you know that Oreo cookies were first introduced in 1912? They were originally called Oreo Biscuits and were sold in tins. Today, Oreo cookies are sold in over 100 countries and are one of the most popular cookies in the world.
Tips for getting the perfect consistency of ice cream cake
To get the perfect consistency of ice cream cake, it’s important to make sure that the ice cream is not completely melted but rather, slightly softened and easy to spread. In addition, make sure that each layer is completely smooth and even before adding the next layer. And lastly, make sure to chill the cake in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours or overnight to allow it to set properly.
Another important tip for getting the perfect consistency of ice cream cake is to use a high-quality ice cream. Cheaper ice creams may contain more air and water, which can lead to a less stable cake. It’s also a good idea to use a sturdy cake base, such as a chocolate cookie crust, to prevent the cake from collapsing or becoming too soft.
Finally, if you want to add some extra flavor to your ice cream cake, consider adding mix-ins such as crushed cookies, candy pieces, or fruit. Just be sure to mix them in evenly and not overdo it, as too many mix-ins can also affect the consistency of the cake. With these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and perfectly textured ice cream cake every time!
Variations of cookies and cream ice cream cake recipe
One of the great things about this recipe is its versatility. You can swap the Oreos for any other cookie of your choice – think chocolate chip cookies or even ginger snaps. Additionally, you can try adding in some chopped nuts or candy pieces for added texture and flavor.
Another way to switch up this recipe is by using different flavors of ice cream. Instead of vanilla ice cream, you can try using chocolate or strawberry ice cream for a different twist. You can also experiment with different types of cake layers, such as chocolate or red velvet, to create a unique flavor combination.
If you want to make this recipe a bit healthier, you can use low-fat or non-dairy ice cream and substitute the cookies for a healthier option, such as granola or dried fruit. You can also use a gluten-free cake mix to make this recipe suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
How to make it vegan-friendly or gluten-free
To make this recipe vegan-friendly, simply use a dairy-free vanilla and cookies and cream ice cream, and substitute the Oreo cookies for a vegan-friendly cookie brand. For those who are gluten-free, there are multiple brands of gluten-free cookies that would work great as a substitute for Oreos.
It’s important to note that not all brands of vanilla and cookies and cream ice cream are vegan-friendly or gluten-free, so be sure to check the ingredients list before purchasing. Additionally, if you are making this recipe for someone with a severe gluten allergy, it’s important to use separate utensils and equipment to avoid cross-contamination.
The best cookie brands to use for a cookies and cream flavor
While Oreo cookies are the classic choice for a cookies and cream ice cream cake, there are other brands out there that work equally as well. Some of the best brands to try include Hydrox cookies, Joe-Joe’s from Trader Joe’s, and Newman-O’s.
Hydrox cookies are a great alternative to Oreos, as they have a similar chocolate flavor and creamy filling. They were actually introduced before Oreos, but lost popularity over time. However, they have recently made a comeback and are now widely available in stores.
Joe-Joe’s from Trader Joe’s are another great option for a cookies and cream flavor. They come in a variety of flavors, including vanilla, chocolate, and even pumpkin during the fall season. They are also made with natural ingredients and are free from artificial flavors and preservatives.
Serving suggestions for cookies and cream ice cream cake
This ice cream cake is the perfect dessert for any celebration or gathering. It pairs well with a cup of hot coffee or a cold glass of milk. For a truly decadent experience, you could also serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or even a scoop of ice cream on top.
If you want to add a little crunch to your ice cream cake, try sprinkling some crushed cookies or chocolate chips on top. You could also drizzle some chocolate or caramel sauce over the cake for an extra touch of sweetness. For a more adult twist, you could serve the cake with a glass of dessert wine or a shot of espresso.
Pairing suggestions for cookies and cream ice cream cake with other desserts or beverages
If you’re looking to pair this dessert with another sweet treat, try serving it alongside some warm brownies or chocolate chip cookies. For a beverage, consider pairing it with a glass of red wine or even a cup of hot cocoa.
Another great dessert to pair with cookies and cream ice cream cake is a warm apple pie. The combination of the cold ice cream and warm pie creates a delicious contrast in temperature and texture. If you’re looking for a lighter option, try serving the ice cream cake with fresh berries and whipped cream.
For a more adult pairing, consider serving the ice cream cake with a coffee liqueur or a glass of port. The rich, bold flavors of these beverages complement the creamy sweetness of the ice cream cake. Alternatively, you could try pairing it with a refreshing mint tea or a fruity sangria for a summery twist.
How to store and preserve leftover cookies and cream ice cream cake
If you have any leftover cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to a week. When ready to serve, take it out and thaw it on the counter for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
It is important to note that the texture of the cake may change slightly after being frozen. The ice cream may become harder and the cake may become slightly dry. To combat this, you can add a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the cake before wrapping it in the outer layer of plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn.
If you want to extend the shelf life of the cake beyond a week, you can store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month. However, it is recommended to consume the cake within a week for optimal taste and texture.
Frequently asked questions about making cookies and cream ice cream cake
- Q: Can I use a different type of ice cream for this recipe?
- A: Yes! Any flavor of ice cream will work for this recipe, but it’s recommended to use a flavor that pairs well with the cookie crust and has a similar consistency to the cookies and cream ice cream.
- Q: Can I make this recipe in advance?
- A: Yes! This recipe is great for making in advance and can be kept in the freezer for up to a week. Just be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn.
- Q: Can I make this recipe without a springform pan?
- A: Yes, you can use a regular cake or pie pan, but just be aware that it may make it difficult to remove the cake from the pan once it’s frozen. You can try lining the pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap for easier removal.
- Q: Can I use store-bought hot fudge?
- A: Yes, store-bought hot fudge will work just as well as homemade hot fudge for this recipe.
Enjoy this delicious cookies and cream ice cream cake recipe at your next gathering or celebration!
1. How can I make this recipe healthier?
If you’re looking to make this recipe a bit healthier, you can try using low-fat or non-dairy ice cream, and substituting the cookie crust with a healthier alternative like a nut or granola crust. You can also try using a sugar substitute instead of regular sugar.
2. Can I add any toppings to this recipe?
Yes, you can add any toppings you like to this recipe! Some popular options include whipped cream, chocolate chips, sprinkles, or even fresh fruit. Just be sure to add the toppings right before serving to prevent them from melting or getting soggy.