Are you a fan of apple pie? Do you love the warm spices of fall? Do you have a sweet tooth that simply can’t be satisfied? If so, then you absolutely need to try making a vegan caramel apple spice cake. It’s a perfect dessert for autumn, and it’s healthier and kinder to animals than its non-vegan counterpart.
The history of caramel apple spice cake
The origins of this cake are somewhat unknown, but it’s likely that it started as a variation on the classic American apple pie. The addition of caramel – a sweet, buttery sauce made by cooking sugar until it turns golden brown – takes the cake to the next level, making it even more indulgent and delicious.
Some variations of the caramel apple spice cake also include spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, which add warmth and depth of flavor to the cake. This cake is often enjoyed during the fall season, when apples are in abundance and the weather starts to cool down. It’s a perfect dessert to serve at holiday gatherings or cozy family dinners.
The health benefits of a vegan diet
By choosing to make a vegan caramel apple spice cake, you’re not only satisfying your sweet tooth, but you’re also doing your body a favor. A vegan diet can help you maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of heart disease, and even help you live longer. Plus, it’s a great way to be kind to animals and reduce your impact on the environment.
Additionally, a vegan diet can also improve your digestion and reduce inflammation in the body. Plant-based foods are rich in fiber, which helps to keep your digestive system running smoothly and can prevent constipation. They also contain antioxidants and phytonutrients that can reduce inflammation and promote overall health. So, not only is a vegan diet good for the planet and animals, but it’s also great for your own health and well-being.
Ingredients needed to make vegan caramel apple spice cake
Now that you’re convinced of the awesomeness of vegan caramel apple spice cake, let’s talk about the ingredients you’ll need to make it. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water, mixed together
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup nondairy creamer
One important thing to note is that the type of apples you use can greatly affect the flavor of the cake. We recommend using tart apples, such as Granny Smith, for a more balanced flavor. Additionally, if you don’t have access to nondairy creamer, you can substitute it with coconut cream or almond milk for a similar texture and taste. Happy baking!
Step-by-step instructions for making the perfect vegan caramel apple spice cake
Now that you have all your ingredients, let’s get into the nitty-gritty of making the cake. Follow these steps and you’ll have a delicious vegan caramel apple spice cake in no time:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the vegan butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the flaxseed mixture, nondairy milk, and vanilla extract to the butter/sugar mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, mixing well after each addition.
- In a pan, melt the vegan butter and brown sugar, then add chopped apples and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Add the nondairy creamer and continue to cook until the caramel is thick and bubbly. Set aside.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pans, then add the caramelized apple mixture on top and swirl it through with a knife.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
Once the cakes have cooled, it’s time to make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat the vegan cream cheese and vegan butter until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate, and spread a layer of frosting on top. Place the second cake layer on top, and spread frosting on top and around the sides of the cake. Drizzle any remaining caramel sauce on top of the cake, and garnish with sliced apples or chopped nuts if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for making your cake moist and flavorful
If you want your vegan caramel apple spice cake to be extra moist and flavorful, try these tips:
- Use fresh apples and chop them into small pieces to distribute them evenly throughout the cake.
- Mix your dry ingredients together well to ensure that the spices are evenly distributed.
- Don’t overmix the batter, as this can make the cake tough.
- Use a toothpick to check the cake for doneness – if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Serve the cake warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Another tip for making your cake moist and flavorful is to add a bit of applesauce to the batter. This will not only add more apple flavor, but also help keep the cake moist. You can also try using a combination of different spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, to give your cake a more complex flavor profile. Finally, make sure to let the cake cool completely before slicing and serving, as this will help it retain its moisture.
How to make a delicious vegan caramel sauce from scratch
If you have extra time and want to make your own vegan caramel sauce from scratch, here’s a simple recipe to follow:
- In a pot, heat 1 cup of granulated sugar over medium-high heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until it melts and turns a deep amber color.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegan creamer and 1/2 cup of vegan butter (cut in small pieces) and stir well until everything is incorporated.
- Let the caramel boil for about 4-5 minutes or until it thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Take the pot off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Use immediately or store in a jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
There are many ways to use vegan caramel sauce in your cooking and baking. One popular way is to drizzle it over vegan ice cream or use it as a dip for sliced fruit. You can also use it as a topping for cakes, cupcakes, and other desserts.
If you want to experiment with different flavors, you can add a pinch of sea salt or a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the caramel sauce while it’s cooking. You can also try using different types of vegan creamer, such as coconut or almond milk, to give the sauce a unique taste.
Alternatives to traditional baking ingredients that are vegan-friendly
If you’re new to vegan baking, you might be wondering what substitutes to use for ingredients like eggs, milk, and butter. Here are some great vegan alternatives to traditional baking ingredients:
- For eggs: use flaxseed meal mixed with water, applesauce, mashed bananas, or silken tofu.
- For milk: use any nondairy milk, such as almond, soy, oat, or coconut milk.
- For butter: use vegan butter, coconut oil, or vegetable oil.
But did you know that there are even more alternatives to traditional baking ingredients that are vegan-friendly? Here are two more options:
- For sugar: use maple syrup, agave nectar, or coconut sugar instead of traditional white sugar.
- For cream: use coconut cream or cashew cream instead of heavy cream.
These alternatives not only make your baking vegan-friendly, but they can also add unique flavors and textures to your baked goods. So don’t be afraid to experiment and try out different substitutes!
The benefits of using organic and locally sourced ingredients in your baking
If you have access to organic and locally sourced ingredients, it’s worth using them in your baking. Here are some benefits of doing so:
- Organic ingredients are free from harmful pesticides and are often better for the environment.
- Locally sourced ingredients are fresher and often have a smaller carbon footprint than ingredients that have been shipped from far away.
- Supporting local farmers and businesses is always a good thing!
Another benefit of using organic and locally sourced ingredients in your baking is that they often have a better taste and texture. This is because they are grown in a more natural and sustainable way, without the use of artificial fertilizers or other chemicals that can affect the flavor and quality of the ingredients.
Furthermore, using organic and locally sourced ingredients can also be a way to connect with your community and learn more about where your food comes from. You can visit local farmers’ markets or farms to purchase ingredients and talk to the farmers about their growing practices and the benefits of using organic and sustainable methods.
How to store and preserve your vegan caramel apple spice cake
If you have any leftover cake, you’ll want to store it properly to ensure that it stays fresh and delicious. Here’s how:
- Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- If you want to freeze the cake, wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil, and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Thaw the cake in the fridge overnight before serving.
It’s important to note that if you plan on storing the cake for an extended period of time, it’s best to freeze it rather than refrigerate it. This will help to maintain the cake’s texture and flavor. Additionally, if you’re planning on serving the cake at a later date, you can also freeze individual slices for easy portioning. Simply wrap each slice in plastic wrap and then foil before placing them in the freezer.
Serving suggestions for your vegan caramel apple spice cake
Now that you have a delicious vegan caramel apple spice cake, it’s time to enjoy it! Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve the cake warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle the cake with extra caramel sauce before serving.
- Top the cake with vegan whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Enjoy a slice with a cup of your favorite hot tea or coffee.
So there you have it – everything you need to know about making a vegan caramel apple spice cake. It’s a delicious and indulgent dessert that’s perfect for autumn, and it’s also kind to animals and the environment. Give it a try and let us know what you think!